West-facing driving motor car 21146 waiting to depart from platform 4 at Earls Court for Olympia in the late 1970s.
21146 was one of six aluminium driving cars built for a stock whose other driving cars were converted from steel cars built in 1938 as trailers.
R Stock trains only had one west-facing driving car each and one or two east-facing ones. 21146 was one of the 8 cars experimentally left unpainted in 1953. Initially it had a red painted waistband but that was removed in the mid-sixties.
One of its east-facing stablemates, 22679, was preserved when the stock was withdrawn in the 1980s.